Friday 26 June 2015

35 Pop Culture Confessions That Will Shock You to Your Very Core

Pop Culture Confessions, Star Wars, Titanic, Beyonce, Friends
Pssst. Hey, you! C'mere.
Closer…

Cloooooser…

Little bit closer...

Wanna hear a secret? I hate the movie E.T.
Wow! It feels so good to get that off my chest. Yeah, I've seen E.T. probably 10 times over the course of my childhood and a couple times in my adulthood. And I don't like it. I understand why it's so beloved after all this time and I certainly respect the legacy of the film, but that doesn't mean I care to watch it ever again. Also, E.T. getting sick makes me extremely sad so no thank you.
When I tell people this little fact, they look at me like I just peeled off my skin and started whipping it around my head like a rally towel. They are that disgusted with me. But hey, that's my pop culture confession. I don't like E.T.

That kind of secret got me thinking about everyone else's confessions, like hating a beloved movie or refusing to watch the most popular TV series ever. There are certain movies or TV shows or albums that you assume every single human on Earth has come into contact with, and that's just not true.
So I asked my fellow E! Online staffers to confess their deepest, darkest pop culture secret, and some of their reveals will shock you to your very core. And it wasn't easy to get these people to tell me their pop culture sins. Just imagine me going around the office and asking people to confess just like that nun asked of Cersei in Game of Thrones and you'll get the idea:

Pop Culture Confessions GIFs http://www.awesomelyluvvie.com/
So check out some of E! Online's anonymous (to protect the innocent) confessions below, plus some of their reasoning behind their secrets. And then it's your turn. CONFESS.
Frozen gifs Disney
"I have never seen Frozen. I don't have a good reason for not seeing it; I just haven't. People are shocked when they find out and look at me like I'm less of a human or something, especially my 8-year-old goddaughter who just can't believe that I haven't watched it and tries to explain the story to me in great detail because it's apparently amazing."
"I hated Pretty Woman. It was super overrated, about a hooker, and there wasn't nearly enough George Costanza screen time."
"I've called into the Nancy Grace show and been on the air 3 times. I went through a phase where I just couldn't miss a single night of the always opinionated Nancy Grace. And you know what, sometimes I just couldn't help but dial her digits and voice my opinion about whatever case she was fired up about. Yes people, those mysterious callers around the country really are real."
"I saw the Back to the Future movies out of order (2, 1, 3) and I think it really f--ked me up."
"I've never seen Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Twilight…basically anything that's a trilogy. #CommitmentIssues."

Beyonce GIF
"I think Beyoncé is overrated. I think she's a decent singer and all, I just don't get all the fuss—especially since she curates any image that is put out there. I was really disappointed in her when  she and/or her team wanted those Super Bowl pics scrubbed from the Internet.  She looked truly fierce and strong in those photos, and the images showed how much physical work she puts into performing. Why not let people see the realness?"
"I have never seen a single James Bond film"
"I hate the movie Grease but I love and know every line and song from Grease 2. It's hard to really pin point why I hate Grease but it evokes the same feeling inside me that I used to get when we would travel in the car for long distances as a child. I get extremely nauseous and need to close my eyes and put my head down. The characters are so annoying and when Sandy is singing 'Hopelessly Devoted to You' (barf) I really just want to drown her in that kiddie pool. A kiddie pool?! WTF? Grease 2 is EVERYTHING. It is just a much cooler movie. You actually want to hang out with these kids. I wanted to be Michelle Pfeiffer when I was younger. It's probably the reason I have blonde hair today. She was a badass from the beginning."
"I didn't see The Goonies until I was in my thirties."
"I don't get the fuss over Jennifer Aniston. I think she is the least-talented Friends cast member."

Taylor Swift GIFs
"I had never heard a single Taylor Swift song before this year. Mostly I listen to music that was made before 1999 so until this May I had actually never heard a T. Swift song! I've never actually admitted that to anyone!"
"I pretty much know Ace Ventura by heart. No shame."
"I walked out of Inception after 20 minutes. My husband and I were just bored of it and felt it was predictable. We were both falling asleep (no we weren't unusually tired) and we just kind of looked at each other after 20 minutes while everyone else was glued to the screen and whispered at the same time,' You wanna leave?' It was the first and only time either of us had ever walked out of a movie. People react with shock about this and tell us we're nuts all the time. I'm not a movie snob. I've sat through awful movies. This one just didn't appeal to me."
"I think Deep Space Nine was the best Star Trek series."
"I don't like Star Wars. Don't talk to me about Star Wars. I've just never been a sci-fi person—space and spaceships and science-y things just go way over my head. And I know there's a good story somewhere in there but the aliens and sabers and loud noises sort of obscure it for me."

Harry Potter GIFs Tumblr
"I've never read or seen anything from the Harry Potter franchise."
"I empathize with Scar in The Lion King. I've always identified with darker, more complex characters. (Favorite character in Harry Potter? Snape.) Scar was sort of the earliest manifestation of that…not to say I didn't get bummed when Mufasa died, but also not to say I didn't belt "Be Prepared" at the top of my lungs the next time I watched."
"I thought Lost was boring and stopped watching a few episodes into the second season. Same with Mad Men and Breaking Bad."
"I've never seen Titanic. I was 14 when Titanic came out and I was in the prime of my bitchy adolescent times. I thought I would rebel against the man and not give in to hype by not seeing it. Plus a girl I hated loved it so I assumed it would suck. And I thought Leo had a large head. And I already knew how it ended." (Editor's note: At least five different people confessed to never seeing or liking Titanic, so at least they're not alone.)
"I have never watched The Wizard of Oz or The Sound of Music."

Friends GIFs
"I've never seen a single episode of Friends. When Friends came on the air, I still watched TV with my parents. Since they never watched the show, I just never got into it. And once I got my own TV, I must have moved on to something else. However, just about everyone I knew in junior high (and high school and college!) were super fans of the show, so I did feel kind of lame for not getting the references. But thanks to the Internet, I understand the complexities of being on a break."
"I think Home Alone 2 is better than the original Home Alone."
"I have an obsession with DJ Tanner. I'm pretty sure we're soul sisters—always loved her style, and her hair, and the motherly/sisterly advice. I was just her for Halloween last year and it was the proudest moment of my entire life."
"I don't like Seinfeld. It's never made me laugh. Not once."
"I have not had a TV for the past 10 years."

Avengers Assemble GIF Marvel/YouTube
"I've never watched a Marvel movie all the way through: We're talking Avengers, Iron Man, Thor…the whole squad. I'm ashamed. I've always wanted to see the movies but it's always been an 'I'm not going to the opening weekend, so I'll wait until Redbox' and then I get distracted by a Zac Efron movie and the vicious cycle continues. If it's on cable, I never start it from the beginning so I change the channel to Food Network. I'm not happy with the choices I've made, but I'm living with them. Tumblr, I'm sorry."
"I think Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother are the worst shows I've never watched."
"I think The Beatles are overrated."
"I don't know who Andy Richter is. Everyone says he's a famous comedian and I have no idea who he is. For some reason Gary Colemans face comes to mind." (Editor's note: This wasn't as shocking as it was just…weird.)
"I've never seen Sixteen Candles."

Game of Thrones GIFs HBO
"I've never watched a full episode of Mad Men or Game of Thrones."
"I don't think Iggy Azalea is as bad as everyone says. Leave the poor girl alone, Internet!"
"I've never seen any of the Jurassic Park films. And no, with the release of Jurassic World I do not plan to start now. I don't care how good Bryce Dallas Howard looks in those heels running from dinosaurs; I'm not trying to spend my Friday night with a T-Rex."
"I still don't know what Serial is."
"I hate Gilmore Girls. I've only seen about five minutes of one episode ever and I remember thinking to myself, 'Why are they talking so fast? How can they breathe? So many words! Also do they ever stop complaining? This is torture. It's like 100 cats screaming into my face about not understanding men. Who watches this crap?' And the rest is history."

Got a pop culture confession?

No comments:

Post a Comment