Wednesday 29 October 2014

How to Break into Fashion: Vera Wang’s Vice President of Public Relations, Priya Shukla.


Priya Shukla Vice PResident of Public relations vera wang
Are you ready for another Breaking into Fashion interview?
Today i have the pleasure of gaining great industry insight from Priya Shukla, the Vice President of Public Relations for Vera Wang.
The Australian native and University of Sydney Graduate has been working in Fashion PR for almost a decade–and has lots of juicy advice for those looking to follow in similar well heeled footsteps!


After getting a degree in Economics, Priya landed her first job in LA, working for a small fashion PR firm. She says, “I had worked 2 jobs during college and had saved up enough money to take an unpaid internship for about a year. I was focused and determined to turn the internship into a paid position. My eagerness to learn and willingness to work hard impressed the company enough to hire me full time.”
Vera Wang Vice President of Public Relations, Priya Shukla fashion bomb daily
From there, she moved to New York to work at another PR firm. She says, “ A head hunter called me to say Vera Wang was looking for an assistant. Vera had been an idol of mine for a long time. Even though I had already moved passed the assistant level, I jumped at the chance to interview with her. When I had my face to face interview with Vera, I was honest and said I did not wish to be an assistant for long and that my goal was to remain in PR. She agreed to promote me if I proved myself and I kept moving on up from there.”
FENDI and VOGUE Celebrate the Launch of FENDI BUGGIES Co-Hosted by Solange Knowles and Elisabeth von Thurn und Taxis
Now you’ll find her planning and staging events, working on press releases, wrangling celebrities, and organizing Vera Wang’s epic runway shows.
MADE FASHION WEEK Presents: LEXUS Lounge - DAY TWO
Her advice for those who want to break in? Start at the bottom. She explains, “Intern as much as you can. Check your ego at the door – there is no shame in starting from the bottom, we have all been there! Be ready and willing to learn. There is a misconception that fashion is just fun and glamorous – trust me, there is only small fraction of truth to that. This is a tough and competitive business, you will need to develop a thick skin. If you are lucky enough to land an opportunity somewhere, make the most of it, ask questions, pay attention, go above and beyond what is asked of you to make a good impression. Keeping a positive attitude will pay you back in spades.”
3 Vera Wang Vice President of Public Relations, Priya Shukla fashion bomb daily
She continues, ” If you want to be in fashion, then BE in it: read fashion magazines, blogs and websites (learn who the editors, photographers, models, designers, stylists are), keep up with industry news and network wherever you can. If possible, develop relationships with people who can mentor you.” She adds, “[Ensure] you also develop interests outside of fashion to keep things grounded and balanced. Keep a strong circle of family and friends in your life–maintaining a work/life balance needs to be a priority when you work in a demanding field.”
Vera Wang Vice President of Public Relations, Priya Shukla fashion bomb daily 9
In terms of style tips, polish is key! She offers, “Grooming goes a long way–it’s way more impactful than carrying an expensive bag. The bag means nothing if your hair is a mess and your nails look like claws. I remember being young and on a super limited income when I first started working, but I made sure I looked polished and well groomed at all times.” Great advice!
priya shukla vera wang
And in closing, she says, “There are two edicts in life I abide by 1. Always take the high road because the low road is too crowded and 2. Always Be Grateful, be thankful for what you have and you will end up having more.” Indeed. What are you grateful for today?
Priya+Shukla+August+Osage+County+Afterparty+JyJWz-qw2l8x
At any rate, keep tabs on Priya and her fabulous style on Instagram at @Priya2404.
This was refreshing, no?
What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment