Saturday 29 March 2014

CHIC EATS: Caramel Apple & Sausage Pancakes [RECIPE]

Screen Shot 2014-03-23 at 12.05.40 PM
I never used to be the pancake kinda girl. I preferred waffles, but growing up, we didn’t have a waffle maker, so pancakes it was. My mom had me in front of that stove before my 13th birthday and I remember when she taught me pancakes, all be it from the box, but it was still fascinating to me. My first batch would always come out squished, non-cirular and burnt on one side. It never missed a time–as soon as that second batch was done, I’d smile, looking down at the steaming pile of fluffy pancakes.


When I got my first kitchen, you know, outside of my mom’s house, I was so ready to cook everything. I didn’t realize how much I enjoyed perching at the kitchen table, watching my mom whip up her best delicacies right from her thoughts–no recipe required.
In fact, if there was a recipe, my mother would screw it up. But if she could just wing it–it would be the best whatever-it-is that you’ve ever had. Promise.
Making pancakes on Saturday mornings in my own apartment became a routine, but they would never be straight from the box (well yes they would), I would just add some of my favorite sweet things to them–chocolate chips, peanut butter cups, caramel, almonds, coconut flakes, you name it. Here in recent years, I’ve been a bit more adventurous with my pancake recipes, often adding red velvet cupcakes, cookie dough, bacon, sausage or one of my unexpected favorites-granola.
I have fallen back in love with pancakes and after you try my Caramel Apple & Sausage Pancakes, you will too!
Here’s What You’ll Need:
1 Cup Of Hungry Jack Complete Buttermilk Pancakes
1/2 tube of pork sausage
3 apples
1 cup of sugar
1 stick of butter
1 tbsp of cinnamon
1/4 cup of water
How To Make It Do What It Do:
Caramel: Put a half a stick of butter into a frying pan, turn on to Med-Low. Allow it to melt. Once it’s liquid, add your cup of sugar and stir like your life depends on it, because it does. No matter how bored you get or even if you think what you’re doing is the dumbest thing on the planet and you should just go and buy caramel, keep stirring. What happens after about 10-15 minutes of your constant stirring is scientifically awesome. The sugar/butter will turn brown. There’s some type of science here, but I don’t want to get into it.
That’s when you will add your water–start with 1/2 of the 1/4 of cup I asked you to get. If it’s looking liquify enough, go with that. If it’s still thick, use the rest of your water. Be really careful because this stuff will snap, crackle and pop you. No matter what happens to your face or arms, keep stirring. This is important. Your caramel is forming NOW! Don’t be nervous. Stir.
Hopefully by now your apples are cut into whatever shape makes you happy and your sausage has been fully cooked and in crumbles. Add your apples into your caramel and keep stirring. Sprinkle in your cinnamon. You’ll want to turn the stove down to low because you’re about to let those beautiful apples simmer in the pan. Oh and put a cover on it.
After about 10 minutes, check to make sure the apples are softening. If you can pierce them with a spoon, pour in your sausage. If you can’t, keep simmering for about five more minutes. Stir your caramel with your sausage and apples and allow the sauce to simmer on low.

 You probably didn’t have time to make your pancakes while you stirred your caramel for dear life, so now that the sauce is on simmer, you can! You don’t need me to tell you how to make pancakes. It’s on the side of the box. So do that. Then plate those bad boys and pour you caramel, apple, sausage mixture on top. You won’t need syrup, unless you’re president of the Diabetes club. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment